Sunday, July 31, 2011

Drop and Give Me 20

I must confess that I am envious of other moms who tell me that their babies nap for 2 hours at a time. I can't help but think of all the things I could do in 2 hours - cook, clean, blog, job hunt, exercise... the list is endless. 


Back to reality, my son W is the king of the cat nap. I'm lucky if he sleeps for 45 minutes and getting him to sleep is another challenge. Recently, he has started crying as soon as we walk into the nursery - he knows it coming. Even on those days when he can barely keep his eyes open, he just cries and cries before a nap. My motto these days is "Drop and give me 20" - I'm like a baby drill sergeant. My pediatrician is big on the "Babywise" schedule and crying it out. With his advice, W is allowed to cry for 20 minutes before I call a nap time out. Some days he's asleep within in 2 minutes, some days it takes a little longer and some times he stands in the crib crying for the full 20 minutes. I'm thankful now that he is finally getting on a nap schedule. Sometimes I hate it because I really want to run an errand during nap time, but I know its best for me to respect the schedule and nap time. 


Well, my time is about up. The King of the Cat Nap will be stirring soon and ready to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment