Monday, August 15, 2011

The Great Cloth Diaper Experiment

While I was pregnant, I seriously considered using cloth diapers. But once the little man arrived and I had a few diaper changes under my belt I decided I wasn’t hardy enough to try it. Once W was on solid food I revisited the idea of cloth diapers. Fortunately, cloth diapers have come along way – or at least that is what my mom says - and they are super easy to use. 

I thought about using a diaper service but I decided to save my money and go out on my own. I purchased six Bumkins contoured diapers and a Thirsties diaper cover. Right now, I use the cloth diapers a couple of times a day since I only have one diaper cover. I am about to order another one but I was hoping to find a Bumkins brand cover. 

Bumkins contoured diaper
Thirsties cover 
Diaper inserted into the cover
My only complaint so far is the bulkiness of the diapers. It might be because I'm using the contoured diapers. Even though I've only been using them for a few weeks, we haven't had any leaks. Which is great because W is crawling and pulling himself up - he never stays in one place too long. It has been a pretty hot summer here in Atlanta so I feel like the cloth diapers are better for W's skin since they should breathe easier. Plus, it's been pretty easy to dry them outside on a drying rack. As far as care goes, I just wash the diapers using Dreft and when possible I dry them outside or run them in the dryer. 

W in action
 I know there is a lot of debate as to how much money you save since you are using more resource such as energy and water by washing the diapers. This is the same argument that many use for why its not necessarily better for the environment to use cloth diapers. Regardless of how much money I save or the environmental impact that I may or may not be making, it certainly feels better knowing that I'm keeping a few diapers out of the landfill. 



No comments:

Post a Comment