Saturday, August 6, 2011

Shopping Queen Turned Penny Pincher

Oh retail therapy, how I have missed you. And with the last few weeks I've had, I really could use a little retail therapy about now. The first friend I made when I moved to Atlanta was a girl I worked with, Anna. At first she and I would run out on our lunch hour to the mall or TJ Maxx. I loved shoes and she loved purses. It was a shopper's match made in heaven. When I first got married, my husband worked weekends so Anna and I would go shopping on Saturday mornings and have lunch. We bonded over Coach, Tory Burch and Michael Kors. Even though we don't work together anymore our friendship has continued and our shopping days have dwindled.


This week, I got a text from Anna asking me to join her for her shopping day on Saturday. Of course, I had to decline. Not because I didn't want to go, I would love to go but these days money is tight. I know many Americans have cut back over the last few years so I'm not the only one watching her pennies closely. In my post-pink slip days, I don't have the extra money to buy anything non-essential. With an infant, I have enough extra expenses with diapers and formula. 


Every afternoon, I spend with the little man I am reminded how important this time is with him. Even though I'm not home by choice, I am enjoying the time we are spending together partly because I know it won't last long. The time with W is fleeting and with every passing week, we are learning to live with less and thrive despite it. I'm not a great couponer but I've figured out a few tricks and I will share them later. 


In the meantime, I am wishing Anna happy shopping at the mall. As for me, I will keep my shopping trips limited to the grocery store and my afternoons full of playdates with a very special little man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment