Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Homemade Pesto

This summer, we've been eating a lot of pasta. Its easy and pretty simple enough me to whip with just a few ingredients. A few weeks ago I went to a local farmer's market and one of the vendors had a orzo, chickpea, and tomato salad with a spinach pesto. I'm not a huge fan of pesto but this pesto sauce was delicious. Maybe it was because it was made with spinach I don't know but I loved it. 


Last week, I got a wild hair and took to the internet to find a pesto recipe. I had some fresh spinach, arugula, and basil - the perfect ingredients for pesto. I found this recipe to use as my guide. 


I started by toasting my pine nuts on the stovetop. I was afraid they were going to burn so I didn't toast them too long. 




Once I got the argula, spinach, and basil washed and dried, I put it in the food processor with the pine nuts, garlic, and parmesan cheese. 



Then I just hit the puree button, once it got to this consistency, I put the lid on and drizzled the oil olive in while it blended. 



This is what my final pesto looked like with ravoli from Trader Joe's. My husband loves pesto so he thought this was the best pasta we have had in months. I'm not a huge fan of pesto since it can be too oily or too garlicky. I loved this recipe since I could control the amount of garlic and oil. We even had a little bit left over so I'm freezing it for us to use in another dish. I will probably end up making a few more batches while the basil in my garden is still thriving. It will be great to have such a light and summer dish this winter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment