Tuesday, September 6, 2011

One Sided Love Affair

Long before I met my husband, I met my furbaby, Bailey - a gray and white striped kitten. I was in college at the time and even though I didn’t need the responsibility of a pet I took it on when a friend asked me if I was interested in kitten. Over the years, Bailey has been with me through heartbreak, good times, and bad. He has been a faithful, furry, four-legged companion.

Bailey in his much younger years
Many years ago, Bailey was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and the vet prepared me for the worst. But within a few months, he had improved and his condition is now managed with medication. When I found out I was pregnant, I worried how Bailey would handle to addition to our family. I read all the articles I could find about integrating a newborn with pets but most of the articles were about dogs. As my belly grew bigger and bigger, Bailey would do his best to climb on my chest for his nightly petting not knowing the changes that were about to come.

You can tell Bailey's not spoiled one bit
We followed the same integration tips with Bailey as you would with a dog. My husband brought home blankets and clothes the baby had worn at the hospital. The first night was hard since the baby cried most of the night and it just stressed out Bailey. The first few months were hard on him since the baby cried a lot during those early days. But now that W is older he loves Bailey and since he is mobile he makes a bee line for him everytime he is in our bedroom. Fortunately, for us Bailey has been a great sport and maybe, just maybe in his old age (17 years) he's mellowed out enough to accept the love and affection of a very rambunctious nine month old. Now if only W will get the hang of petting instead of pulling.      

W and Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment