Wednesday, September 28, 2011

White Chicken Chili Recipe

I may spend a lot of time watching Food TV network but I am no Paula Deen in the kitchen. In the last few years, I have cooked more than ever and have perfected a few easy recipes. My poor husband doesn't complain but I'm sure he hopes I expand my repertoire and soon. So one of my goals is to try out at least one new recipe a week. Stay tuned because I'm sure that will make for a few interesting blog posts. 


Since we've gotten a preview of fall weather these last few weeks, I had been itching to fix up a batch of white chicken chili. I think I originally got this recipe from mother-in-law a few years ago and since then I've been making it at least once a month during the fall/winter months. Its easy to make and you can easily freeze any leftovers. 


Ingredients
1-1.5 pounds of chicken breasts
2 cans of Great Northern or White Kidney Beans
Jar of Salsa
2 cans or 1 box of Chicken Broth
Ground Cumin 


Garnishes: salsa, cheese and sour cream


Rinse and drain beans. While beans are draining, bring chicken broth to a boil in a stockpot. Add the beans to the pot along with a 1/2 jar of salsa. I use Newman's Own Medium Salsa but you can use any salsa you like. I like to cook my beans for several hours but you don't have to do this. 


Once the beans are cooking, I prepare the chicken for cooking. I like to sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and ground cumin before I bake them. If you don't like cumin, you don't have to use it. Bake the chicken breasts at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until done. Once the chicken is cooked and cooled, shred the chicken. 


Once the beans are cooked to your liking, just add the rest of the salsa and the shredded chicken. 


This recipe is very forgiving, you can use rotisserie chicken instead of baking chicken breasts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment