Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Thanks for the Memories R.E.M.

Today, one of my favorite bands R.E.M. announced that after 30 years they were breaking up. I haven't been listening to R.E.M. for 30 years but I have been a loyal fan for about 20 years. I have seen them perform live a total of 3 times and each concert was as great as the one before. As a student at the University of Georgia, I found out just how legendary R.E.M. was. Their first concert was performed in church and even though the church was torn down the steeple was left to mark the spot. Every incoming freshman makes Wuxtry Records a must see, since it is the store where Michael Stipe met Peter Buck. And you have to get your meat and 3 fix at Weaver D's (where its automatic) before leaving town. 


No other band has left such a mark on such town as R.E.M. has done with Athens and its not just the music. Since the members lived in Athens for many, many years they were active in the community and the preservation of historic buildings. They were artistic and business leaders who gave back to their "hometown."


Fortunately for Athens, R.E.M.'s influence on alternative music made this small town in Georgia a hot spot for tours. I saw the Counting Crows and Dave Matthews Band perform live before they hit the big time (ok I'm dating myself with that confusion) and it was all because of R.E.M. So with a heavy heart, I want to thank these four boys from UGA who changed college radio forever for all of the great music and memories. 


Its too hard for me to choose my favorite R.E.M. song so here's a video of all four members performing their classic hit, "Losing My Religion."



No comments:

Post a Comment